Friday, August 5, 2011

The breakfast of champions and the things that kid says...

This morning at breakfast time, I sat down at the table to enjoy a bowl of Wheaties with orange juice with the kids.  I know, the orange juice sounds weirds.  It's something Derek does because he doesn't drink milk.  I thought it was weird at first, but after I tried it, I really liked it... and the kids now like it, too. 
Don't knock it till you try it.

So we are sitting there and I am looking at the box -

On the back is a picture of this guy, who won the Ironman 2010.  There are three pictures of him - one swimming, one riding a bike, and one running.  Lincoln started asking me what it said so I explained to him that this guy won a big race where he had to swim, ride a bike really far, and then run really far.
After I explained that he had won, Lincoln said, "That's not very nice."
Ha!

That kid is the most competive little bugger.  He is constantly racing with Amelia at everything... but only if he knows he will win.  If he sees that she might win, he says, "It's not a race, Amelia."
I know he is repeating us because we are always saying, "It's not a race" or "Someone will cry" (usually him).  There have been times when they are racing to put pajamas on after bathtime and I will throw his pants across the room to slow him down.
He gets so mad.
I just laugh.
I know... bad mom.

Anyway, him saying "That's not very nice" made me laugh because we are always trying to teach him not to race with everything he does.  Oh boy, how to find the words to explain myself to that kid sometimes.  He's probably so confused.  "Lincoln, stop racing!" and then he sees a guy on the cereal box that won a big race and that seems so awesome.

After we talked about him winning, he looked at the pictures more and then pointed to the bike picture and said, "Does he have no training wheels on that bike?"
Ha!
The image of a cyclist flying down the road with training wheels popped into my head.

Then on the way to the store we were listening to the radio when the Zach Brown Band and Jimmy Buffet song came on.  I think it might be a banjo that opens the song (don't hold me to that) and when he heard it, he asked if it was Farmer in the dell.
Ha!
If I were a good mom, I would have Farmer in the dell playing on the radio.
Instead we listen to Party Rock Anthem and the kids give us their best fist pump action.

Then at Costco the kids were sitting in the cart.  Amelia was getting tired and leaned over onto Lincoln's lap.  He started rubbing her back.  I was feeling overwhelmed with happiness and pride.  I wanted to scream for all of the shoppers to stop what they were doing and look at my two magnificent, well-behaved children that had just minutes earlier been making loud noises while eating their pizza and passing gas (Lincoln).  I wanted to shout, "See!  They can be so wonderful... sometimes!" 
I refrained from looking like a leunatic and didn't do that.

Anyway...
Because of the way her shirt was, he could see the back of her neck and a little down her back.  He started rubbing her skin and noticed her peach fuzz (that is a little dark) and said, "Mom, she's got fur."
Ha! Ha!

Oh man.
Love that kid.

1 comment:

A Rosie Family said...

Oh the things that kids wil say....

Congrats on the new job by the way, I didn't even know that you were thinking about going back to work!! Hope you enjoy it and a it is a good time. Good luck!