*Drumroll please*
I started training at my new-old job:
I worked there from the time I was about 17 or 18 until I was 21. It's pretty strange to go back to something that was such a big part of my life ten years ago. So much has changed about the place (and even me!) but the basics are still the same.
I spent Saturday watching three hours worth of videos teaching me correct food temperatures and how to treat customers with respect and make them feel welcome (Like not running them over with the plate cart or giving them dirty looks when they walk extremely slow with their walker in front of me - seriously, that was on the video).
Then, on Sunday I went in (in my new-old get-up) and followed/helped Mindi while she trained me.
Of course, it came back to me quickly and I am anxious to get the show on the road and make some money.
"I'd just as soon keep workin', though, keep a little change in my pocket."
If you know that quote, I will think you are extra rad.
I do have to admit that I found myself thinking a few times about how I've gone to college, have a degree, have worked a Monday-Friday job with awesome benefits, and, I am almost thirty years old.... why am I serving again?
I will be honest and say that a little part of me was even a little embaressed.
I just keep reminding myself that it's an honest job, I can make quite a bit of money for the hours I work, and, it's a job that I can work only a couple days a week at and I will still be able to stay home with the kids and not put them in day care.
I think it will be good for me to feel like I'm contributing financially and just have that outlet in my life. I noticed just from being there this weekend that I enjoyed talking to people and doing something different from what I've been doing for the last four years. It will only be two days a week and it will only be for a few hours each day, but it will be mine... a part of my life where I will doing something on my own, just as me. I like that and am excited about it.
A little side story - on Saturday, I got home from training, had dinner, and we took the kids for a bike ride to the elementary and let them play on the playground. When we got home the kids were filthy so I hopped in the shower with them. Amelia was a little fussy so I was hurrying to wash her up and hand her out to Derek to get her dressed. My knee is still healing from my very serious accident at the kiddie water slide and I can't really bend it all that well (It feels like the scab is splitting). Because of that, I was just bending at the waist to wash Amelia. Lincoln was playing in the water beside me and I felt him flick my side. I actually thought he was flicking my chest...which he is starting to do frequently... which leads me to believe it's about time to stop taking showers with him. Anyway, I stood up and was about to start scolding him for doing that and he reached over and touched my belly and said, "Mom, you've got a big belly."
Good hell. I couldn't believe it. He wasn't flicking my chest, he was flicking my ever-so-lovely tummy roll that appeared when I bent over to help Amelia. Sweet. Perfect timing, eh? Right after my curvealicious post. I just laughed at him. Gotta love children's honesty.
So, we got them bathed, got pajamas on, and started a show and let them relax. Lincoln laid down on the couch and didn't try to steal the banana that Amelia was snacking on and didn't even ask for one for himself. That should have tipped me off that there was a problem arising.
I took Lincoln in to brush his teeth and he was complaining that there was a hair in his mouth. I looked and thought I saw one, but couldn't get it and then couldn't see it anymore. He went back out to the couch and laid down again. At one point he stood up in front of me, as I was sitting on the end of the couch, and started making a funny noise with his mouth (like a hair was in it again). Then, all of a sudden, he started gagging and then started throwing up. EVERYWHERE. My first instinct was to catch it with my hands, but there was just too much. I grabbed the bottom of his shirt and pulled it out to catch it. That sort of worked but it was seeping through and spilling over the edges. I walked with him to the bathroom, spilling it along the way and then attempted to dump it into the toilet. At this point, he was still throwing up. I was thankful to be near the toilet now, but even so, it all didn't make it in there. I got as much off his shirt as I could and then tried to pull it off of him. As I did, it ran along his face and the top of his head. His face was covered and I think some even went up his nose. I laugh now, but at the time I didn't even know what to do. It really was everywhere.
We got him and the house cleaned up and thankfully it didn't happen again, although, while he was in the bathtub he sneezed about twenty times and one of the times he sneezed, a piece of hot dog came out of his nose. I was torn between laughing and seriously feeling bad for him. He was obviously having some trouble and I'm sure it didn't feel awesome to have food coming out of his nose.
I'm still not sure if he was actually sick or just gagged because there was a hair in his mouth. I do know that the next time he tells me he has a hair in his mouth, I am going to search high and low for that bad boy until I find it!



1 comment:
How exciting! I'm happy you have found something that makes you feel good. It seems a lot of women out there are such devoted wives and mother's that they don't put their own needs very high on their priority list. I think it's AWESOME that you have done just that!
And your story about Lincoln is so funny/sad! Hahaha, that poor little guy.
Post a Comment