Monday, December 20, 2010

You just never know what's behind my tears...

I found myself nearly to tears of frustration at the store today.  A simple trip to pick up Christmas cards and supplies for gingerbread houses ended up taking about an hour.  Amelia has gotten to the point where she doesn't like to ride in the cart.. at all!  That would be just fine if she would walk beside me, help me push the cart, or even walk in the same direction that I go.  When I try to put her in the large section of the cart (because Lincoln is sitting in the top), she immediately stands up or tries to climb out.  When I make her sit back down, she screams and stands right back up.  So... I let her out and encourage her to help me push the cart.  What does she do?  She throws herself on the ground.

Sweet.

I was really trying to hurry but it was crowded and I would have to stop every 4 seconds to deal with her.  I seriously couldn't make it ten feet without having to stop.  I kept being in everybody's way, but had a hard time getting out of the way since I was trying to push the cart with one hand and corral her with the other.  That's when I felt the tears coming on.  Luckily, I was able to control them so I didn't look like some nut job crying at Wal-Mart, but they could have very easily come streaming down my face if I would have let it happen.

I am just baffled at why she has to fight everything.  I mean E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.  I go to put her in her carseat - fight.  I go to get her dressed - fight.  I go to put her in her high chair- fight.  I go to wipe her face - fight.  I turn on the wrong show for the kids - fight.  It's getting ridiculous. 

I know that when people see me at the store with her, they've got to be thinking "Geez, control your kid."  I swear, it just doesn't seem possible.  I never realized how much Lincoln just went with things until Amelia came along.  He just chilled.  Of course he had his moments of acting out, but for the most part he just went with things.  "Oh mom, you want me to get in the car?  Okay.  No problem."  Amelia is more like, "Oh mom, you want me to get in the car?  Hell no.  Come and get me.  And oh yeah, I'm going to kick and scream the entire time."

I know it sounds like I'm ranting right now, and really, I am.  I don't mean to but I seriously don't know what to do with her.  Once again I will clarify that she does have her amazingly good moments and I love her so much.  But, she can be such a little devil sometimes.

Anyway, we finally made it home and I was in the kitchen making lunch and thinking about how ridiculous my shopping excursions are when Lincoln came running out from his room with nothing but underwear and socks on and was holding a toy phone to his ear.  He was running and shouting, "Mom, I'm naked!  I'm naked!"  All of a sudden, he tripped over his own feet and fell to the ground.  When I saw that he wasn't hurt, I just started laughing.  I felt the tears come again.  It was hilarious and it was just what I needed.

3 comments:

Kristi Case said...

I completely understand your frustration. My little girl was just like that and still is- as a 7 year old can be. Just the other night asking her to take a shower was a big dramatic event that took a time out and lots of tears from her. Really? That is what I've been asking myself for the last 6 years. Really? But it's just who she is. Here's some things that seemed to help with her: giving her choices so she feels in control and establishing very clear boundaries of what's expected. And when all else fails I've had to rely on some bribery. I don't care if other parent's judge me-sometimes a Mom HAS to do what she can to stay sane!!

The Ingebretsen's... said...

I so feel your pain. My 2 and 1/2 year old is exactly the same way. I was reading this thinking you just described my Walmart experience yesterday. I leave in the worst mood, screaming at the kids and typically forgetting half of what I went in for. He hates his carseat and typically CLIMBS out of it as we're driving and he refuses to sit in the cart. He always wants to push the cart, but if you help he throws himself on the floor. If things are not done in exactly the right way he throws a FIT. It's really taken me to the edge of my limits. I don't take him anywhere unless absolutely necessary or I make sure I have A LOT of pez candy. I like Pez because it takes him awhile to get the candy out and thus giving me a chance to actually get my shopping done! Good Luck! Know that you are not alone, and most people in the stores probably sympathize with you!

A Rosie Family said...

The thing is... We or at least I, keep trying these outings. Tav is the same way with the cart now. It becomes such a circus scene sometimes. I totally feel your pain and I have had those same tears. Hang in there!