The Fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays.
I think I might say that around each of the other holidays, though.
It really is so awesome.
Patriotism.
Fireworks.
Sunshine.
Barbeques.
Parades.
Music.
Parks.
Patriotism.
Patriotism.
Patriotism.
I just love it.
Derek ran a half marathon in Salt Lake (Woo-Woo!) this year so the kids and I headed to the park to have breakfast with my side of the family. It's getting easier for me to do things like that alone and I love it! (Although I did have my little assistant Jill with me to help when needed. After all, I would have had a hard time carrying three plates by myself.... not that I couldn't have but it is nice to have the extra hands. :) Anyway...
We let the kids play at the park after breakfast (where I tore them away from the playground to snatch a couple pictures before they got good and dirty)...
And then let them ride in the little train that was there.
And then we found a good spot to watch the parade...
And wait to see Grandpa in his "Ooga car."
Mindi was in the front seat and Lily, Jack, Kate and Jane were in the rumble seat.
I love to see my dad in the parades.
I always feel a sense of pride... like "I know him..."
It's weird, I know.
Derek ended up making it to the park during the parade
and it was such an awesome surprise to see him.
After that we headed home to rest up before a little shin-dig at our house with Larry, Louise, Tom, Laura, Lisa, Kennedy and Isabel.
It was fun to have some burgers, hang out with everyone, and enjoy the warm weather.
Then we headed to a park that we found a couple years ago before we had moved to California.
I swear, this park and the fireworks here are amazing (It's a grand finale for the whole firework show). I find myself wanting to tell everyone I know about how awesome and where it is. But, then I remember that one of my favorite things about it is how not-crowded and low key it is. Parking is easy and close, the view of the mountains is beautiful, and they have good music playing (maybe a little loud but better than none, right?)
Oh yeah, AND... they have people sky dive and parachute into the park right in front of us... while Danger Zone from Top Gun is playing. How awesome would that be?
I'm considering finding out if I can do that next year... and Larry is going to do it, too.
I've got it all worked out in my head.
It will be radical.
Kennedy, Lisa, and Isabel at the fireworks.
Man, I sure do love the Fourth of July.
Did I mention that already?
Hope you had a great one, too!


2 comments:
It's one of my favorites too. Summer in Utah...really is the best. Fourth of July is awesome here. I totally think you should jump next year - they do need another girl jumper you know.
I absolutely love the 4th of July also. I love everything about it and especially how everyone comes together to celebrate it. Patriotism is contagious for sure. Looks like you guys had a great one. Next year I will be expecting to see pictures of you jumping from the plane/helicopter?
Post a Comment