He was sooo ready!
The reason he will have to wait a bit longer is because we have decided to move back to Utah. It definitely wasn't an easy decision to make and honestly I don't think we'd really even talked much about doing it before the opportunity presented itself. There were a series of events that led to a mighty fine offer from the company Derek had worked for in Utah. It really was an offer too good to refuse.
We've gone back and forth about moving (and even gone back and forth literally *end of joke drum*) and I think we are both pretty bummed about it, especially since it feels like we just got here. Well, we kind of did. But, even though it's only been a short time, a lot has happened and I have realized a few things.
I love the weather here in California. Who doesn't?! That's why there's a billion zillion people here. But what good is having beautiful weather if Derek isn't around to enjoy it with us? I will deal with freezing winters if it means that Derek is around to see the kids off on their first day of school, take a few friday afternoons off every once in a while, be home for dinner time, and be a happier person all around. That makes me a happier (and more sane) person too. Everyone's happier.
This past weekend we made a quick trip to do some house hunting. We were so lucky to find one, make an offer, and have it accepted. More on that to come!
On the plane ride home, I stared out the window as we flew into southern California. I felt sadness come over me. Sad that we were leaving. Sad that it didn't work out differently. Sad that I am unsure whether we've given this enough of a try and for long enough.
Then Monday came and Derek was off to work long before the kids even woke up and didn't come home until 8:00 and the kids were getting ready to go to bed. Then this morning when Lincoln came into my room at 6:30, the first thing he asked was, "Where's my daddy?"
Those are the times that I am happy about the decision. I am happy that he will be around more for the kids. I am happy that he will be around more for me. I am happy that he will have more time to do the things that make him happy.
Like I said before, what good is all the stuff like great weather, beach, etc. if he's not around to share it with us?
We are lucky to have family in both places that love and care for us and I know we have made people sad with the decisions that we have made moving here and moving there, but it really has come down to what is best for us. It's selfish, but true.
So, I have decided that my happy husband (and my sanity...did I mention that already?) is worth living in the artic for. I will be wearing 18 layers of clothing, but I will have him to snuggle up to - by our new fireplace!


4 comments:
Congrats on finding a house! This is really a primo time to buy a house.
Very well put Krystal... although you will be missed don't feel bad for one minute about doing what is best for your family! Who needs the sunshine when you have a fireplace to keep you warm any how! Can't wait to hear about Lincoln's first day at preshcool... it will happen and it will be great. Love you guys!!
Awwww, I love the part about snuggling up to the new fireplace! I think you definitely have your priorities in the right place, and I agree...don't feel bad for doing what is best for your family.
I completely understand how you feel about leaving Southern California too. There's just something really special about this place. In a perfect world, I'd never leave! But we ended up in the same position as you guys - we decided it's best for our family to make the move.
I can't wait to see your new house! I'll be around to come over and help ya decorate if you need it :)
<3
We all do what we have to do. I am glad that you will be closer, but I have to admit that I haven't been to UT for quite a while. Perhaps that will change after October ;=)!
Post a Comment