Friday, June 11, 2010

Reality Check

When I used to work at Chili's, I became friends with a few sisters that worked there. There were 3 of them to be exact. I loved working when they were working because they were fun to be around, hard working, nice, kind girls. But my favorite thing about them was that they reminded me of me and my sisters.

Because I worked there for quite a while, I also knew their parents and brother who came in to see the girls frequently. They were such a fun family that always seemed to be laughing and cracking jokes.

When I became pregnant with Lincoln, one of the girls recommended her Dr. to me. Thankfully she did because I ended up having that doctor deliver both of my kids.... I loved her!
I also loved my appointments because the mother of these girls worked at the doctor's office. I would usually see her when I went in for my appointments. We would chat about this or that and she shared pictures of her new grandchildren. I really loved talking to her because she sort of reminded me of my mom, who lived two states away. She definitely didn't replace my mom, but I really enjoyed talking to her.

I'm not sure how long it's been, but a while ago I heard that the father had gotten cancer. The family had a fund raiser in his honor a few months ago. I was lucky to go and witness all of the people that knew and cared for this family. It was truly amazing.

A few days ago, I was saddened to hear that he died. The girls have been posting quotes from him on their facebook and it has been neat to see how they are coping by remembering all of the fun things he did or said. I'm not sure why, but this family holds a special place in my heart and the news of his death has really got me thinking. I have actually never had anyone really close to me die. I hope that it doesn't happen anytime soon. But that's the crazy thing - you just never know. These girls are all around my age and have lost their father. I can't even imagine anything like that.

Anyway, like I said, this has really got me thinking. Thinking about how grateful I am for everyone in my life, especially my mom and dad. I am truly blessed to have such amazing and wonderful parents.


I love my mom for her smile, sense of humor, hugs, kisses, kindness, sincerity, honesty, the way she listens, and her reliability (The list could go on and on).
There is nothing quite like a hug from my mom.
Or a sandwich. No one makes a sandwich like mom does.
I love my dad for his strength, honesty, passion for life, work ethic, sense of humor (when we are lucky to see it!), and how he makes me feel like I am extra special to him (Again, the list could go on and on.)
Oh... and the fact that he would drive across a desert, swim the ocean, and hike a mountain to bail me out of whatever situation I've gotten into!
Seriously.
I sure do love them!

2 comments:

A Rosie Family said...

It's kinda crazy how things just "hit" ya sometimes. I get this reality check pretty frequently in my line of work. I think it is a good thing every now and again to help us appreciate the special people in our lives.

Kim said...

Really cute, you made me cry.