In Derek's parents neighborhood, they had a neighbor that had a tree branch come through her kitchen window, trees were down, shingles gone, siding gone, fences down, and the poor swing set that Larry and Louise and had just bought this past summer for the grandchildren was also a victim of the winds.
I had to work the night of the storm but Derek took the kids to his parents while I was there. He seemed pretty shocked by what he had seen.
The next day I drove through my dad's neighborhood to see the damage. I, too, was pretty shocked. I can't even imagine living in a place that has strong enough winds to completely tear apart houses.
Anyway, I was pretty sad to see one of two pines by my dad's driveway completely toppled over. It's been there since they moved into the house when I was elevenish. The kids thought is was pretty cool, though.
I even got to help my dad start loading tree parts onto his trailer. It was cool. We bonded. I felt like the son he never had for a couple hours.
Insane how big it was...
This is kind of off the topic of wind storms, but the night of the storm I worked and made conversation with an older gentleman that sat in my section by himself. He told me about things he had seen in his neighborhood, like one house losing part of the roof (beams and all). After he left, I found this on his table.
A very pleasant surprise. Some people are pretty rad.


No comments:
Post a Comment