Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Curve-a-licious

I've been on the exercise train since February and I'm happy to say that I'm still going strong.  When I started at Weber State (oh so many years ago!), I got into working out at the gym there and I stayed pretty consistent until I had Lincoln.  After that, it was hit and miss.  Then when Amelia came along, forget about it...

It feels so good to be back in a routine that includes exercise.  When I'm exercising, I find myself watching what I eat more and then when I do eat something sinful, I don't feel so bad about it because I feel like I work hard and I owe it to myself to indulge every once in a while.  I've started to notice differences physically, although they are small and not what I would have hoped for at this point.  The biggest difference, though, is how I feel about myself. 

Today when I turned on my computer, there was advertisement and link to some celebrity website (like TMZ) that talked about celebrities in their bikinis and did side by side comparisons of what was hot and what was not.  As I browsed through them (and silently cursed myself for even wasting my time), I started to get a little irritated - irritated by what the media considers in shape and "toned."  Most of the women that they said looked "toned" seriously looked ill... in my opinion, at least.  I thought, "No wonder you can see their muscles and bones, they have absolutely no fat on them anywhere!  They look like twelve-year olds!"  Who knows... maybe I'm just a jealous chubby girl that knows I have never and will never look long/lean/slender/skinny. 

Anyway, like I said before, thankfully working out has made me feel tremendously better (physically and mentally) so I was able to look at those pictures and think that the women were ridiculously skinny rather than strive to be like them by throwing up, not eating, or working out ten times a day.  I feel like I have a good balance of exercise while still enjoying some of the best things in life like peanut butter bars, potato chips, french fries, pasta, cookies, candy... I'm sure you get it.

I also can't help but notice that even though some media sources rant and rave about those super skinny, "toned" women, there are also still celebrity women out there that make having curves sexy and give me a goal to work towards when I peel myself out of bed at 5:00 a.m. to go work out.



Thanks, ladies!

And maybe, just maybe, we are working ourselves back to being like the generation that was crazy about curves like this...

P.S.  I'm thinking of being Marilyn for Halloween since I've got the short blonde hair now.  Let me know if you see any clothes that might work. 
Isn't she so awesome?

4 comments:

swestbroek said...

I totally agree! As long as you are taking care of yourself, and doing it the right way is the best way. Keep up the good work :)

lisamarie said...

YES! For sure do it! I can probably find you anything you need in SF that you can't find there. And YES! Amen on the curves. Mama has hips that will never die so I can't wait for them to come back in!

A Rosie Family said...

I have noticed too that excercising makes me feel better also... even though some of the "giggle" still remains.

Oh the joys of having children and getting older:)

You look fabulous in your pictures by the way!!

My One and Only Thought said...

I LOVE this! I love your outlook on the subject. All we need is more Mother's to teach their daughters (and sons) to think the way you do, and then maybe society will embrace a more realistic body image.
This reminds me of an exchange between a mother and daughter that I observed the other day. I was in the doctor office, and a little girl and her mom were sitting next to me. The little girl was looking through a Glamour magazine, and she said "I wish my hair were that color" while pointing at some picture of a celebrity. And the Mom said "It's pretty, isn't it?" And I was like... NOOOOO. First of all, an 11-year old shouldn't be looking at Glamour; and secondly, you should be telling her that her OWN hair color is perfectly fine, and MUCH prettier than that celebrities hair color! So frustrating!