Thursday, January 27, 2011

O happiness, happiness, wherefore art though happiness?

Times are tough.  Sometimes they are more tough than others.  I am sure to let you know when I am irritated/aggravated/sad/mad/frustrated/whatever.  The other day I was talking to Derek about how I feel like sometimes I'm the only one.  The only one that blogs about it actually.  I've heard someone say something about how things are always blissful in "blog land."  It seems kind of weird to me that some people only post the happy things.  Maybe I'm the weird one, though.  Or just different I guess.  Or maybe I am just a big fat complainer.  I would like to clarify that even though I *discuss* the bad times, I really do have good moments and people in my life.  

Anyway, two things have happened that have lifted me up and encouraged me to be more positive and focus on the happy.  One: Awesome cousin Lisa posted a great post about focusing on the positive.  I need to do that more.  I'm always happier when I do.  Surprise, surprise.  Two: I watched Oprah last night.  It was about happiness and basically what makes us happy - where we live, friends, family, sex life, hobbies, outlook, etc.  Goldie Hawn was a guest and talked about how she had studied happiness.  It made me think, "Maybe I should study happiness."  Anyway, I'll save you the play by play and just say that it seemed to be just what I needed - well, that and Lisa's post.  On the show they talked about taking time each day to just sit in silence with yourself and how it can make you happier if you do.  When have I done that?  Well, never.  I don't like silence much (maybe that's why I talk so much...?) and I certainly don't have the opportunity for it very often.  But, I think I want to give it a whirl.  So... I'm going to try to be more positive and focus on the good rather than the bad.  I'm going to sift through the bad to find the good.  I'm going to take a few minutes every day to sit in silence.  Maybe I'll even sit on my soft bed with my eyes closed, legs crossed and hands resting on my knees.  Derek will walk into the room with a curious look on his face.  I won't even know he has entered the room because I will be blissfully lost in the silence.  It will be awesome.

Don't be surprised to read a post about how amazing it is and me encouraging you to give it a try.

5 comments:

A Rosie Family said...

Sounds wonderful! I agree about people not posting about the crappy days. I do occasionally but most the time I just find myself not blogging that day at all... not sure why. I will never forget the one post I did titeled "the daily tantrum". All I did was complain throughout the entire thing but boy did I feel so much better afterwards and it actually made me think about what I have to be greatful for. Sometimes it's good for the soul I say.

I can totally picture you sitting on the bed, by the way, as you described and Derek walking in thinking you have gone mad:) So funny!!

A Rosie Family said...

P.S. I loved Lisa's post too!!

Bell said...

I don't think you complain, just voice your opinion. Have you every heard of the Gratitude Book. You get a book and everyday you record something you are thankful for that day. I've heard it really works. I keep telling myself I'm going to do that, but I don't. By the way, I just want to tell you what a good mother I think you are. Love ya

My One and Only Thought said...

Hahaha, I LOVE this. I am really glad you were inspired to focus on the happy. I am sure that 'happy' can get lost somewhere between changing diapers, wiping snotty noses, and the other billion wonderful things Mom's do for a living. ;)
I REALLY really REALLY love silence. I would die without it. I'm the type of person who is driven insane by a TV running in the background, for example. I'm like "TURN THAT OFF PLZ!" It's just good to have some time where one is completely alone with their thoughts - no other distractions.
I can't wait to hear how it goes!

lisamarie said...

I think that sounds amazing! I'm glad that what I said was helpful in some small way. I do agree with Autumn that there is a difference between the occasional 'so frustrated i just need to get this off my chest and commiserate a little' and the enduring focus on the negative. Like I said, I have only recently learned that I am an 'automatic negative thinker'- some wouldn't guess it from the outside but it's so easy for me to spend inordinate amounts of time thinking about everything that's wrong instead of all that is right. It really is a state of mind. And it's a change I want to make. Like you said, it's a 'happier' way to be. It's not easy though. And it doesn't mean there won't be days where you want to - and should - get it off your chest! But, I'm on the same train as you right now...and I'm glad i'm not ridin' alone!!!