Saturday, October 16, 2010
"Boys have a..."
Lincoln has reached that stage in his life - the one where he has noticed that boys and girls have different "parts." Since he was a baby, I pondered what to call "it" when referring to "it" when I talked to him when he reached this stage. Like when he's in the bath tub and I ask him to stand up so "it" can be washed. I decided to just go with saying "penis." I know some parents use "pee-pee," but that just never was something I said.
Sometimes, while in the bathtub with Amelia, he's noticed that she doesn't have what he has. When he asked about it, we just explained that boys and girls are different and that he has a penis and she has a vagina.
Anyway, the other day while he was going to the bathroom, he said to me, "Boys have a penis, girls have a... what do you have, Mom?"
I tried to control my laughter and keep it at a giggle as I told him.
Since that little chat, whenever he's reminded, he will say "Boys have a penis, girls have a gina."
Yep. He's going to be that little boy in class.
So... what have you taught your kids to call their parts?
What do they teach (if they do teach anything about it...) in school?
How long do you let siblings that aren't the same sex bath together?
This mama wants some advice!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
So funny..just wait until he starts asking where babies come from :-) We used the "wee wee" word but only until about four, but then used appropriate girl word with Hannah from the start. I let Taylor and Hannah bathe together until he (the oldest) was about five or six, and she was two. He just started asking too many questions. I think it's important to be open and honest with kids, never make them feel anything about their body is weird. I had to get the baby being born book when Taylor was five, he is a very curious kid!!
Oh man that is funny. I have heard that just being honest and open is the best way. Fortunately for me my boys don't have anything to compare to however I'm SURE it will come up soon enough. Good times.
We use penis an no penis. Cody just knows that he and daddy have a penis and mommy doesn't. He calls my parts my tenders...we haven't really introduced Vagina into his vocabulary so maybe Lincoln will teach him!! I don't know if they teach anything in school for the first few years. Cody uses every name in the book for his privates but mostly penis.
Post a Comment