Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 24 - Tickle # 4 (Fourth of July festivities)

I seriously LOVE the Fourth of July. I love how everyone is a little more friendly than normal. I love how I see flags everywhere. I especially love how patriotic everyone is. I wish everyone was so patriotic all year round.

Within the first week of moving here, we'd been told about how amazing the Fourth of July was in our neighborhood. The lady next door apparently started a little parade (about 10 kids on bikes) 18 years ago. Every year it has grown in size and they now do a little potluck for all the locals on the street. Our driveway turned into the table area and before we knew it, there were complete strangers standing in front of our house, scooping up delicious goodies onto plates. It was pretty awesome to see how many people showed up and fun to meet some neighbors we hadn't met before.
The kids decided to claim territory in front of the garage and also right in front of the tables with food on them.
After the potluck dinner, firemen from the local firehouse showed up to lead the parade.
This picture was taken from our front yard. It was pretty awesome to look out and see it just sitting there. Lincoln especially loved it!



Since the Fourth was on Sunday, we were able to celebrate all weekend with the parade on Saturday and then head out to my moms on Sunday for the actual day.
We pretty much just played in water, ate food, and ate more food.
Then headed over to the park for some fireworks.
Sure do love them!
(Me, Mom, Mandi)
Always looking for an opportunity to get a picture of the four of us together... popcorn in mouth and all!
We were pretty impressed with how good the kids did at the fireworks. We wondered how long they'd last that night without any meltdowns, but they did awesome. They just played around until they started, watched them, and then sat patiently in the car as we waited for what seemed like 45 minutes to get out of the parking lot. Outtings like that are definitely getting easier as they get older and we are so happy for that!

This is just a little clip of the parade in front of our house. People were lined up around the corner. It was amazing!

9 comments:

My One and Only Thought said...

Wow! That looks like so much fun. That is so cool they do the parade thing through your neighborhood. What a cute idea. And the firetruck right outside your house! Haha. I would have LOVED that when I was little. I'll bet the kids had a blast.

When I was at your house for Lincoln's birthday, I saw homemade signs hanging up on the streetlights that said something about the parade, and I remember thinking "How fun!" Parade's are the best.

Grandmama Laura said...

Wow! The bike parade was huge!! Sounds and looks like you had an awesome 4th. Thanks for sharing.

Bell said...

How fun that your neighborhood has such a nice 4th of July celebration there on your street. Looked like tons of fun!!!

Titel Family said...

Wow, what a celebration you guys had. I should have come over to your block. That's cool that the fire station allows the engine to come over. I bet your kids had a blast with that in front of their house. Fun, fun!!

Our Family said...

Your kids are so cute!, That looks super fun!

A Rosie Family said...

What a great street to live on! Who ever found that house was inspired *wink! Looks like it was a great 4th. Sad we couldn't spend it together. Next year maybe.

A Rosie Family said...

Lincoln's b-day was a blast by the way. (Im a little behind on my blogging) Thanks for having us!!

curb said...

long sleeves?

Kim said...

That is Awesome looks like you guys had a good time! That is so cool she started that parade and now its huge! My kids would have loved to have the firetruck right in front of there house too.