Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Clarification

It has really been no secret that Amelia has been a difficult baby for me... or us, if I dare speak for Derek as well. I have not spared anyone's ears from my ranting/whining/complaining about my crying child that I didn't know how to fix. I will admit that the time since Amelia's birth has probably been the most difficult time of my life. With each step of the way, I have looked toward the future with hopes that she would get better and be free of whatever it was that was causing her grief. The process was slow and some days I felt like there was never going to be serious progress. People would say "maybe by 6 months she'll be better... maybe by 9 months... 12 months" and we kept waiting and waiting and still didn't feel like much was changing.

I have realized that hindsight paints a different picture. There was change. It was small and slow, but it was there. At Amelia's doctor visit the other day, I was explaining (as I understood them) Amelia's circumstances, the formula she had been on, and the trouble we had had trying to figure out what the problem was. Simply put, I didn't know much. As the new doctor (whom I thankfully really like) read over Amelia's paperwork, she said that it looked like Amelia had an allergy to dairy. Our previous doctor had suggested that that might be the case, but I never felt like there was a definite diagnosis. The new doctor asked if she drank milk now and ate any other dairy products. Yes. Yes, she does. She has a lot of it and has no problems.

Progress!

It has been a long road, but my baby IS better!

She is feisty as can be and has more attitude than should be possible for such a little body to have, but overall, she's doing great! Like I said before, I know I've done my fair share of complaining and even tried to barter with other people for their children, but, I hope that there has been no confusion about how much I love this little girl. I am so thankful to have her in my life and love watching her learn and grow everyday... and wear some awesome goggles while doing so.

While talking to my sister-in-law Mindi last week, we were comparing the personality differences in kids. We were discussing how some kids are more timid, quiet, and shy and would rather kick back and watch and observe. Then there are other kids that are constantly going, exploring, and staring life right in the face. She pointed out that in some ways, she would rather have the more adventurous one (as much stress as it may cause) because she doesn't feel like she has to worry about them being walked on or pushed around. She trusts that they can hold their own in life. Good point, Mindi, good point! So here's to my little girl that stares at the ocean...


And then runs straight for it! Seriously.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You two look so cute in that top picture.

A Rosie Family said...

I love this post! I don't know how many times I catch myself complaining about things (aka my kids) and then think to myself that I hope nobody got the wrong idea. We love them, even if we complain.

Love all the pictures in this post as well. You and Amelia on the peir, awwww, Amelia and her "googles", adorable and your statment at the end about her running straight for the water, priceless. So cute, so true!!

The Ingebretsen's... said...

My oldest was that way, screamed day and night and I just felt like something wasn't right. I had him in to dr after dr and they just told me I was a first time mom and it couldn't be that bad. I did not have a single person that would watch him for more than an hour without calling me crying because he wouldn't stop screaming. Even my own mom. I look back at that time and really wonder how we survived. Finally at about 6 or 7 months he just snapped out of it. He started sleeping and smiling and he has been a joy ever since. I hope that you can get to that point soon. I understand your pain and frustration. I can't even imagine going through it with an older child to watch as well. My second baby has been soooo easy up until the terrible twos :). He was one of those sit and observe types. I feel guilty about how much I enjoyed him as a baby, in comparison. I guess every child is different, but I wouldn't trade them for the world... well, maybe the 2 year old! :) I think you pay at some point. Some kids are easy babies and terrible two year olds, or teenagers! Hopefully I paid for Emery the first 6 months and he'll be easy from now on!

lisamarie said...

oh my gosh, that little purple striped outfit is so cute! she is such a doll...and like I've said before, maybe she'll get it all out of her system and then be an angel teenager!