Friday, February 5, 2010

Uncharted Territory

We are now entering the potty training stage. *Puts on gloves and full body cover*
I guess we entered it back in the summer when Lincoln miraculously peed in his little toilet. After that day, though, he didn't show much interest so I've been waiting until he got a little closer to 3. I've found, for the most part, it's been easier to get him to go "big potty," as Mindi and her family call it, in the toilet rather than pee. Mainly because I can tell when it's about to happen or is happening.

We bought him some cute little underwear (Thank you Lightning McQueen) and yesterday I decided to give them whirl. He did good (no accidents for a couple hours) and I was feelig optimistic about his progress. The kids were out in the backyard playing while I was in the kitchen preparing for a dinner party that I had that night. From the kitchen table, I hear grunting coming from the backyard. Oh no! NO, NO, NO!

I bolted to the backyard to find that I was too late. There he was with a bump on the back of his pants and wet legs.
I carried him to the bathroom and realized I didn't know quite what to do. I'll save you the icky details and just say I figured something out and got him in the bathtub. It would be torture for Amelia to stand by while brother got a bath, so she got one too.

I was now in a serious time crunch and had to get dinner in the oven.

I had Amelia out and dressed and returned to the bathroom to get Lincoln. He was standing in the tub holding his sopping wet towel and saying, "Is hebby."

*Sigh*

I should've known better than to try the underwear thing on a day that I had somewhere to be at a certain time.
I'm hoping for continuous progress, though. :)
I would love any advice/suggestions from those of you that have done this before.
Really.... anything!

5 comments:

The Ingebretsen's... said...

I have no suggestions because NOTHING worked with my son. I guess the one thing I learned was that when they're ready you'll know, and it will just work. We did have some success with a timer. I set the timer for 30 minutes and he sat on the potty whether he said he had to go or not. That at least cut down on the accidents. Oh, and I don't think pull-ups work. I bought the gerber thick cloth diaper underwear things. They have a plastic cover so their clothes don't get immediately soaked, but they still feel really wet, so they know they went! GOOD LUCK!

Rendi said...

It's been so long for me...I guess I will take the comments to heart for when I have to potty train Karsten. I do remember that we moved when the boys were 2 1/2 and we gave them some time to adjust before we dug in.

Hess Fam said...

Tips are welcome here. I'm going through the same thing...today actually. It is no fun.

Kristi Case said...

Oh potty training-you have to keep your eyes on the prize to get through this stage! I finally figured out with my boy that if I just let him go naked, he was more aware of what he was doing (and we didn't ruin countless underwear, just lots of clean-up)....so for a couple weeks if people stopped our house by they got naked boy. Whatever it takes, right?

Our Family said...

My boys always liked to "race" This would of course involve Derek. They both go in at the same time & see who is done the fastest. If you time him throughout the day when Derek isn't there, it will be practicing to beat daddy. Also, kids had fun trying to pee on the cherio's , until one day I noticed my toilet bowl had about 1/2 a box dumped into it.