Wednesday, May 27, 2009

If I were a superhero...

1. I would have caught the people that stole my neighbor's canoe while they were away for Memorial Day Weekend. It wasn't just any old store bought canoe, it was a home made one. Now, I've never made a canoe before, but I'd dare say that it's a difficult and time consuming task. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much, but I've been thinking about it quite a bit since I found out that it had been stolen. My neighbors are very nice people - the kind that would probably chop their own arm off if they knew you needed it (a little grim, but you get the point.) They had their canoe tied to the side of their garage, and the garage is very far back from the street. Their driveway runs parallel to ours and their garage is as far back as ours, for those of you that have seen how incredibly long our driveway is. So... I've come to the conclusion that this probably wasn't just any old stranger walking down the street that decided to just go take a canoe off of the side of the garage. It was most likely someone that knows my neighbors and knew that they were going to be away for the weekend. I'm extremely bummed that we didn't hear or see anything and even though it wasn't my canoe, I still feel a little violated. We've never locked our detached garage because we've always just thought it was that kind of neighborhood. Plus, it was so far back from the street, I just figured no one would dare try anything. Now I'm starting to wonder what else someone might be willing to do. I really, really wish I would have heard or seen them and stopped it from happening. Too bad I'm not a superhero and don't just automatically know when something bad is going on... especially when it's twenty feet from my own house!

2. I'd go to the Congo and remove all of the priests that have claimed to identify children that are witches. They tell the families that they can perform an exorcism for an outrageous price - I believe it was a little more than half of an average years salary. When they perform the exorcism, they do incredibly cruel things that hurt the child and have even killed some of them. If they survive the exorcism, the child may end up being shunned anyway and are even kicked out of their homes by their own families. Seriously?! All because some guy said that the child was a witch? If I were a superhero, I would take these priests and put them on an island. Not just any island. I'd have my own little criminal depository. I could just fly them over and drop them off and let them fend for themselves.
I'd also build an orphanage where these children could go and have shelter, food and love.

3. Keeping the Congan priests company on the island would also be the guy that I just heard about on the news. A pregnant lady apparently didn't want her baby so she paid a guy $150 to punch her in the stomach. He did, and then apparently gave her a few extra cuts and bruises to just make it look like a random attack. Again, seriously?! And while I'm at it, I'll just drop the girl off with him too!

4. I'd prevent the media from reporting anything that is untrue - I'd have some sort of way of filtering it. I'm so sick of hearing everyone's opinions about the Jon & Kate plus eight drama. Maybe he did have an affair, maybe she had an affair, maybe the children are being left with nannies a lot. Maybe, maybe, maybe. Why is everyone so willing to believe something that is printed on a magazine at the check out line in the grocery store?! What if no type of affair took place between anyone? I know they signed up to do the show and there have been many perks because of it, but this is getting a little out of hand. I look at it like this, I'm not going to believe anything until I talk to Jon or Kate. I'd like to encourage everyone to be openminded and remember that the media is involved. Enough said.


The list goes on and on. I don't know why I ever watch the news. It really is depressing sometimes. That's why I think my island would be so marvelous. I know everyone has the right to make their own decisions, and sometimes they aren't the best. But, in my perfect little superhero world, we wouldn't have to deal with that junk. Everyone would just keep their hands to themselves, be polite to one another, and mind their own business. Oh, how wonderful the world would be!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so funny that you brought up the Jon & Kate drama... because I was JUST thinking how ridiculous it's getting. More than half the people I know don't even know who they are so they're like who are these people and why are they having so many affairs? Whether they are or not personally doesn't matter to me. Whether their kids are left with a nanny or not doesn't matter to me either... as long as the children, first and foremost, are being cared for in some way or another is all that should really matter if you ask me. At least if they are cheating on each other, they're responsible enough to have the kids taken care of!

I don't watch the news, I skip it all together because I'm tired of hearing about horribly depressing things. Obviously this world is full of disgusting and outrageous people, but I choose to ignore it.

As for your neighbors, I'd feel violated too!!! I can't even believe some one would do that to them, especially if they knew them. I wonder if they'll get caught... I hope so! If you're going to steal a friends/family's property, they'll find out sooner or later!

A Rosie Family said...

You said it girl! The news really can be depressing/irritating sometimes. And by the way... I think you would make a spectacular superhero!

Rosenlof 4 said...

I completely agree with your thoughts. The Congo mess is just horrifying and all our news seems to focus on is who's having an affair with whom! So, so sad.

Our Family said...

If all of the rain drops were lemon drops & gum drops- oh what a world it would be. I want to live in your world. That pregnant chick- needs to have her tubes tied.

My One and Only Thought said...

I always try to remind myself that what goes around, comes back around. Sooner or later, most of these people get back what they are dishing out. It's just a matter of time.

And I am the same. I try to avoid the news. On my Yahoo! login page, for example, I have chosen Health news, Science and Space news, and Environmental news, haha. If the other trash isn't there, I'm not tempted to click on it and read it.

And at the risk of sounding a bit cheesy...even though the negative in this world can seem overwhelmingly discouraging, all ya need to do is look in the eyes of your two amazing little children and remind yourself that you're doing your best to make it a better place (because I know you well enough to know that you WILL and ARE).

<3

Rendi said...

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...wait, if you were a superhero it wouldn't be necessary. I agree about not watching the news- so depressing. I wish they forced news stations to report as much good as bad.