I can remember when Derek and I got married and I would say "my husband" when talking about him. I thought that was THE coolest thing ever. I couldn't believe that I had gone from being me to US! It took a while to get used to knowing that I was a wife to someone. I had to start thinking about someone else when making decisions. Way weird, but I loved it.
By the time I got that down, I was pregnant and became a Mommy. I then had myself, a husband, and a tiny little baby to think about when making decisions. When Lincoln was a newborn I thought he was having trouble breathing so I called the doctor's office. When I said "my son," it felt so amazing. I was a wife and a mommy. Even weirder, but I loved it even more!
Now here we are, nearly two years later, and I still don't think that it has completely sunk in that I am the "Mom." This is how I know. I have had the paperwork for Amelia's birth certificate filled out for months and hanging on the fridge just waiting to be taken to the health department. I had to make an emergency trip to the store for diapers and figured it would be a good day to FINALLY get that done - now that she's almost six months old! So we went to the store, went to health department, turned the paper over to the lady behind the window, and waited. A few minutes later she returned with Amelia's birth certificate and we were on our way. We made it to the elevator when I looked down and saw Mother's Place of Birth: Arizona. Wait a minute. I was born in Utah. MY mom was born in Arizona. We hurried back to the office and the lady informed me that to make any corrections, both Derek and I have to sign the back of the birth certificate and we have to do it has to be in front of a Notary. I did my part but now Derek will have to take it back and sign it in front of them. What a pain! I was hoping to finally have this chore crossed off my list after six months... now it will have to wait a little longer.
As I got in my car and drove home, I kept wondering how I could have made such a simple mistake. I had even reviewed it a few times to make any corrections. What was I thinking?!
Without even realizing it, I had filled in that tiny little blank with my mother's information. That's when it hit me. I'm not the "Mother." My mom is the "Mother!"
Maybe by the time I'm a grandma, I'll get this "Mother" thing down.
Yeah, that should be enough time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
that is pretty funny....I almost did they same thing!
Even though I'm sure that was frustrating, I got a good little chuckle out of it!! I've given my mom's maiden name on accident before when they really wanted MY maiden name. Luckily it wasn't anything that had to be notarized to changed :)
I had a similar problem. The hospital spelled Kaycen as Kaylen and I finally went in to fix it about 2 months ago and my maiden name was spelled wrong!!!!! So they inputed two wrong spellings. Now I have to bring in my own Birth Certificate and prove my last name, but then Tom and I have to fill out the info to change Kaycen's name! What a pain!!!! So here we are at 1 year old and he's still technically named Kaylen. Oh well!!!
Cute story Krys! Maybe you just need a few more kids to help you realize you are the mother! I got a good laugh from this!
Lol I hear ya sometimes i feel like im living in someone elses life:) I didn't turn Claire's Birth certificate in till she was like 6 months either! Its like with madelynn i turned it in the second we got home, but for some reason it took me a whole lot longer to turn claire's in:) They messed up a whole bunch on hers they spelled her name Claiare and also spelled my husband Derek's name Darrel what????? LOL silly people!!
I will never get the Mrs. Bell thing. I think I am okay with the mom part, but I do have lapses. Just wait until the kids get older and you have to start referring to your mom as grandma or remember who the heck they are talking about (not my grandma, but theirs!) Such confusing things those titles are.
That is too funny!! I always kinda stress out every time I have to fill that thing out in the hospital that I am going to make some kind of mistake. Kudos for you for actually GETTING the birth certificate. I only have Porter's...
I AM the worst mother EVER!
Funny! Yeah, it takes awhile to think of yourself as "Mother". I think Daniel and I have just started calling each other Mom and Dad when talking with Cody. It's crazy but fun. Now that I am 31 and getting wrinkles and that fun stuff it's really reminded me that I am old enough to be Mommy even though mentally I don't feel older than 20. Forever Young!!
Post a Comment