Friday, March 6, 2009

Hot Topic

This morning I was watching the news and they featured a story about a teenage girl who had taken a nude picture of herself with her cell phone and then sent it to her boyfriend at the time. When their relationship went sour, the picture ended up being sent around to hundreds (they either said one hundred or hundreds, either way, it's a load of people) of kids that attended her school. She was allegedly constantly harassed after that. She decided that the one thing she could do about it was increase awareness of "Sexting" - taking nude pictures with your cell phone. She was a guest on the news but was in silhouette and had her voice altered. Sometime later she attended a funeral of a fellow teen that had committed suicide and shortly after that her mother found her dead in her room, also a victim of suicide.

This girl's mother was on the news and discussing her thoughts on the situation. She seemed to basically be blaming the school system for not intervening. She said something along the lines of "The school can call me when my child is truant and they can send me letters if my child has done something wrong, but they don't do anything to stop this sort of thing from continuing."

This is where I got a little confused and slightly irritated. First, this girl took the photo of herself. She was not forced by another party to sit and pose. It was her and her phone. Second, she sent it to someone else. Everyone knows that pictures can be incriminating. If you don't want people to see you doing something, you probably shouldn't take a picture of it, let alone give it to someone else. And lastly, she was the one that made the decision to take her own life.

Now, I feel sorry for the girl for the unfortunate events that transpired. I once was a teenage girl that craved the attention of the opposite sex. I wanted to feel loved, needed, and pretty. I guess what I'm saying is that I can actually understand her taking the picture. I can even understand sending it to her boyfriend. I can understand being harrassed and bullied and being pushed to the point of feeling desperate to end all of the hurt. What I don't understand is what happened to accountability. This girl was the one that made all three of these major decisions and her mom is trying to blame the school. Really? The school has knowledge of whether a student attends a class or not. But, how could they possibly know what kind of picture messages are being sent around on the students phones? And, if we're going to point any fingers, I'd like to ask the mom if she holds herself accountable. Where was she? Why didn't she do more? The bottom line is that we all cannot be watching over eachother every second of every day. Yeah, maybe this girl would still be alive if the school did something, or maybe even if the mom did something, but, maybe not.

I guess my point is that we are responsible for our own actions. When all is said and done, WE make the decision to act in certain ways. It's frustrating to see people pointing the finger at someone else and asking why something wasn't done. Like I said, I'm sorry for the girl and what happened to her but I believe that she is the one that is accountable in this situation.

What do you think? I'd love to hear other opinions.

6 comments:

Titel Family said...

Yeah, this story leaves me with a lot of mixed feelings. Kids can be very cruel and I do believe that the schools need to get involved with certain issues (bullying)but with this one it's kind of hard since it's a picture on a phone and was not done on school property. I do believe that the parents need to be more accountable and involved like the parents of the girl and boy involved. Sounds like this MOM is still hurting and is looking to keep her child the victim. Kids are so naive and don't think of consequences. It's sad that she decided that taking her life would be better than changing schools or something like that. Sad, sad!

Kristi Case said...

I agree and I think that there is a generation of kids being raised to point fingers at others instead of having morals, learning how to do the right thing and not having rules or boundaries with technology and communications. Goodness forbid our kids should do without something. When and if my kids get cell phones when they are teenagers, it will be just like the computer and I will be checking who they've called, who has called them and they will have a basic phone that doesn't allow photos.
I really could do on and on about this certain topic. Kids having computers and TV's in their rooms and cellphones-it's like anything goes and the kids are not learning rules-they are just free to talk to predators, send pics of who knows what and watch rated R movies..hello? Where are the parents monitoring this stuff??

I feel really sorry that this girl felt things were so hopeless and out of control that she had to take her own life.

Our Family said...

My 12 year old son has a cell phone-- But no camera on it. I refuse. No reason to have it, other than "it's cool." A few parents have been charged & fined for having their kids do this sort of thing, because the kids are minors & the parents are responsible.. YES the mom should take part of the blame.

Me said...

That mom needs to remember the old adage about "every time you point a finger, three more are pointing back at you...." Like most commenters said, I feel very sad for this poor mom, and sad that the girl felt so miserable that taking her own life seemed like her best option. But the school is only responsible for the six or so hours each day they have those kids. The kind of kid that decides to "sext" in the first place, or the kind that decides to share something he shouldn't, or the kind that decides to tease/hurt someone else in the name of "fun," is really determined by what happens the other 18 hours a day - and that's up to the parents, not the school. Ultimately, the girl decided to take and share the pictures - and that was, as they say in the legal profession, the "precipitating event" that made all the other fall-out possible. So as hurt, angry, and confused as that mom is, she is pointing fingers in the wrong direction....

JL

Anonymous said...

I have a cousin who pretty much has done all of the above EXCEPT take her own life and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it happened at some point. Her mom has held her completely accountable for all her actions and has tried her best to punish her... which then leads my cousin to push back even harder. I was a rebellious teenager so I know how hearing "lectures" can be... and I also know how bullying can be because I was bullied in jr. high for wearing thrift store clothes because my dad got laid off. But I never thought that blaming others or taking my life would be the best option.

Like some one else said, where was the mom? Cell phone companies have ways you can intercept this stuff and see what your kids are saying and doing if you feel like you NEED to. And she didn't take the picture at school so why should the school be to blame? They could have assisted in the bullying, sure... but you can't keep an eye on hundreds of students at once. I'm sorry the mom had to lose her daughter, but look in the mirror before you start passing judgment on everyone else.

Grandma Tamie said...

I agree with you. Although we do our best to raise kids they do have a mind of their own. Teenagers seem to know it all but as they grow into adulthood realize they really didn't know as much as they thought and sometimes make bad decisions. Unfortunately for some, circumstances get the best of them before they can work it out. It seems to me this young lady had many problems prior to picking up that camera. Feelings of not being loved or cared about most probably. Where did she get the feeling of such desperation? In most cases I believe it comes from immediate family and how they relate to one another. Did this young girls family tell her each day how much she was loved, or how beautiful she was? Did they tell her how perfect she is just by being herself? Did they spend time just talking as a family? I know how cruel kids can be, but if you give a child a good solid foundation to build upon they can accomplish and overcome many things. Should this mom blame the school? NO! She needs to look within her own backyard first. Too many people these days are quick to blame the "other person", but I think we should all take a look from within first.