Saturday, September 27, 2008

Week One...

Where to begin? This past week has been quite an adventure for all of us. First, I'll start with the highlights of the week. We decided to bring our pretty little Amelia home the day after she was born since both of us were doing really well. And, let's face it, those hospital beds are not the coziest place that you've ever slept! I was gung-ho to stay the full two days until Saturday morning came and Derek and I were hanging out in the room and realized we could be doing the exact same thing at home and we'd probably get better sleep there too. So, away we went!


Amelia all strapped in and ready to go. It's amazing how tiny she is!
We received a warm welcome home courtesy of my Mom and Stepdad. I can't believe it was my turn again to have a cute little sign in my yard announcing the arrival of yet another baby!
If you look close enough you can see Derek and Lincoln at the front door looking out.

Amelia getting her very first bath at home. Derek is such a trooper-once again doing the work while I stand by and take pictures! (Gotta have something for the blog!) Lincoln could hardly stand it that the water was running and he wasn't in the bathtub. Luckily, our bathtub is pretty high otherwise I think he might jump in on top of Amelia!


The four of us. And... the stars must have aligned, Derek has a teeth smile!

I don't know if it's because we've had so many visitors lately, but Lincoln is becoming quite the cheeser. He was getting fussy the other day so I whipped out the camera and said "Cheese!" and he immediately stopped whining and started smiling at me. He walks around with a "look what I can do" look on his face. We are so proud of the different things that he is learning to do, but I think he's the proudest of all. I love it!!

Derek and Amelia snuggling.

After a week of my Mom and Stepdad being here to help us out, it came time for them to say goodbye and head back to California. It's never easy to say goodbye and this time was no exception. In fact, I think it was a little harder for me than it usually is because I had to watch them say goodbye to my beautiful kids. I'm sad that they aren't able to be here more often but hopefully we'll be able to see them again very soon. Thanks again for everything!

Since Derek went to work on the same day that my Mom and Stepdad left, Derek's Mom came to my rescue. I was nervous about doing everything on my own but of course when she arrived, both kids were asleep and I had managed to get myself ready and the house picked up. I know that it was a fluke and will most likely not happen again any time soon. Regardless, it was nice to have her company and know that someone was here if I needed anything. Thanks again Louise!

Lincoln eating a chocolate cookie. I don't think he's going to follow in Dad's footsteps and not like chocolate. He seemed to enjoy it!

As I sat cuddling Amelia the other night, I decided to start taking pictures. I was lucky enough to catch her cracking a smile. I don't know what it is about seeing them smile, but it gives my stomach butterflies. It just might be one of the best things in the world... aside from their laughter.

We were very curious to see how Lincoln would react to Amelia when we brought her home. He actually doesn't really seem to pay much attention to her. I have a suspicion that his lack of curiosity had something to do with so many people being here to pay attention to him. We'll have to wait and see how he does when it's just me and Amelia around. Every once in a while he wants to come and touch her, which usually entails poking her in the mouth or on top of her head. I keep trying to teach him to be "soft" but we'll see how it goes. He's still so little that he doesn't quite get how fragile she is so I have to really focus on keeping her out of his reach when I'm not around. He really does seem like a big kid now. I realized just how big when I lied them down next to one another. I can't believe she'll be that big before long! How does that happen?!

I wanted to get a picture of Amelia's legs to show how tiny they are. Since Winter is coming, I have her in way more clothes than I did Lincoln when he was born. I'm kind of sad because I loved seeing his little arms and legs and I don't feel like I get to do that with her because she'll get too cold. So, I guess I just have to take a peek every once in a while.
Overall, the week has gone smoothly. Derek and I decided that it has been easier (so far) to go from one child to two than from none to one. We're pros now and we've got it down! Not really, but it definitely is less stressful. I keep wondering to myself why we ever thought it was so hard when Lincoln was a newborn. All they do is eat, sleep, and poop! Maybe she's an easier baby, I don't know. With her I've bagged waking her up to feed her in the middle of the night. I'm going with the attitude of "if she's hungry, she'll wake up." Maybe that's a selfish Mom's excuse to get some sleep... who knows? At her newborn appointment (4 days old) the Doctor said she had gained 2 ounces which he said is amazing for a breastfed baby. So, apparently she's getting enough so I'm going to get all the sleep that I can! :)
My recovery this time has been completely amazing! Last time I seriously thought I was going to die. I waddled around hunched over for a week or two and could barely get up and down our stairs. Not this time though! I forget to take my medicine because I'm not hurting. I actually feel better now than I did at the end of my pregnancy. I can bend over in the car to pick something up off the floor. I can go up the stairs without being winded. I can sleep for more than an hour at a time because I'm not getting up to go pee. It's fabulous!
On to the next week!

7 comments:

Titel Family said...

What a cute little family. Sounds like you've had a good week. I am glad that this recovery has been easier for you. I hope you are able to get plenty of rest. I am also glad that my Mom now has two grandkids close by. Watch out, they may get pretty spoiled!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going great, so glad to hear it! Lincoln definately looks HUGE next to Amelia. They are both adorable.

Anonymous said...

It's crazy how similar our experiences are with 2 kids! I left a day early from the hospital and had an incredible recovery too... among all the other things you spoke of! Don't worry, you'll have more and more days of being able to get yourself ready and things done around the house the bigger Amelia gets. I don't know how, but my house is spotless right now! Maybe it all is flukes, but maybe it just comes with practice ;) Is it weird of me to say that I wish we could hang out? Maybe it is... I just think we have so much in common with our kids and stuff since not many of my friends have kids these days! Anyways... I'm glad you're doing so well! You sure do have some cute kiddos!

Rendi said...

Krystal- I always love to read your posts! I especially like to look at all the pictures. Amelia is a doll and I am sure Lincoln is the best big brother. Good luck with next week all on your own- you will be fabulous!

Caleb and Shae said...

Sounds like things are going great so far for you guys! That's so exciting! She is still so entirely adorable! I love the picture of Amelia snuggling with Derek! That is so tender! I have a pic like that with grandpa bell when I was in my blessing dress. It's one of my favorites from when I was tiny. Hopefully this week will be easy too without the help.

lisamarie said...

So fun. Congrats on building such a cute family. Lincoln seems like he grew so much compared to little Amelia. I'm glad to hear you're doing so well and hope it keeps up. Take advantage of all the help you can get - even if it seems like you don't need it. It'll KEEP you sane!

A Rosie Family said...

Im so glad to hear that things are going well! You and Derek are pros now and Im glad that your recovery is going good. Im telling you... sounds like your made for this baby/mommy stuff... NEXT...