Sunday, August 24, 2008

Toddler Cliff Diving 101

I knew it was just a matter of time and yesterday it happened. Lincoln took a dive down our staircase. Derek had just gotten home from the gym so Lincoln and I followed him upstairs. Derek sat down on the bench in our closet to take his shoes off and was telling me about some construction going on. Construction of all things! Lincoln was wandering around knocking things off the bench, picking up shoes, playing with the mirror, as he normally does. Derek and I continued talking until we heard a distant whimper from Lincoln. I assumed he was getting mad at some toy that wasn't cooperating the way he thought it should so I continued to sit there... like a dummy! Derek stood up to go and check on him and that's when it hit me, I FORGOT TO PUT THE GATE UP! The whimper we heard was him falling down the first five stairs and stopping at the landing in the middle of the staircase. Derek and I rushed out of the room in time for Derek to see Lincoln on the landing and about to head down the remaining 10 stairs! We hurried as fast as we could but we were too late. He was at the bottom of the stairs by the time Derek could get to him. Of course he was in tears but I think it was actually more from being scared than anything. He didn't have one single cut, bruise, or broken bone! I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure if he ever fell down them that we'd be rushing him to the hospital. Derek did a little test about five minutes later when he stood Lincoln at the very top of the stairs to see what he would do. Yep, he tried to walk right off of them again!
Lincoln's lesson: That was kind of fun, I want to do it again!
Mom's lesson: Put the gate up, dummy!

7 comments:

Marie said...

gesh this sounds so familiar. Madelynn has fallen all the way down our stairs at our old house a couple of times. Got to love forgetting to put the gate up. Your litlte preggo belly is so cute:) Im not sure i remember looking so cute when i was that prego. Gesh only a few more weeks and you will be a family of 4 and then everything changes:) How exciting. Have you both settled on a name yet????

Rendi said...

This just toughens him up- good thing your stairs are carpeted. When the boys were that age, we had wood stairs with tile at the bottom. Luckily they didn't take the same "crash course'!

A Rosie Family said...

Oh wow! I guess it was probably inevitable though. Glad to hear that the little guy is ok. Sometimes the falls are more traumatic to mom and dad than they are for the little ones!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club! Shala took a ride down some stairs in her walker! Yahoo...she thought she was at Disneyland! Luckily...not a scratch on her, either. She did grow up to enjoy wild rides, like the parachutes at Knotts Berry Farm!

Anonymous said...

I know you knew it was coming, just a matter of time! I agree with Derek's sister that it is more traumatic for you guys than him! All my kids have taken then dive too! Sometimes they still manage to tumble down, but never any severe injuries. I am glad that he didn't get hurt because that is alot of stairs! Lincoln is a tough guy, these things just make them tougher and you too!

Grandma Tamie said...

Hmmm, my how things repeat themselves as I remember a young Mom who forgot to put the gate across their basement stairs - only they were not carpeted. As the Mom heard the cry she remembered she forgot to put the gate back after Daddy's friend (Kelly)had taken some things into the basement. Mom and Kelly went running with Kelly passing Mom in the kitchen and I believe he took only 1 step before he was at the bottom of the stairs scooping little Miss Krystal up in his arms. We called Grandma Marcella to come over and take a look at you. You had a couple of good bruises on your head but other than that you were fine. Kept you awake for a few hours to make sure you were okay. Curious toddlers - It happens to the best of us! I will put money on it that Mom won't forget the gate again. I sure didn't! Teach him how to scoot down the stairs on his bottom one stair at a time. It works, did that with Wendy.

Caleb and Shae said...

That's quite the story! I don't remember riding down the stairs in my stroller, so I don't think Lincoln will remember when he gets older. I'm glad nothing bad happened to him.