
I have come to the conclusion that I did not pass down my love of sleep to this child! I love to sleep any and every second that I can... not him though. During the day he seems to only sleep when he is completely exhausted. Granted, he has had a cold for the last couple of days, but even when he's not sick he is usually pretty sporatic with his sleeping schedule. Every once in a while he will have a few days in a row where he takes decent, consistent naps. But just when I think we might have a pattern, he's back to his sporatic naps. Sometimes I tend to wonder if it is because we occassionally leave the house to spend time with family and friends, but then I wonder why he still can't sleep in other places. And again, sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. It drives me crazy when I hear other parents talk about their children taking naps at the same time every day, especially if it's in other places than their home. I have tried staying home to establish a routine and I have tried going places so he gets used to sleeping not only in his crib but other places as well. If I go somewhere, he will fall asleep in the car for 20 minutes and then when I get home and try to put him in his crib, he thinks it's time to wake up. I have tried leaving him in his crib but he will just sit and talk to himself. For example, he woke up this morning at 7:30 a.m. I tried putting him back down at 9:30 a.m. but he just sat in his room talking to himself. Around 10:00 a.m. I went to check on him and he had pooped. So, I changed his diaper and fed him a bottle. He seemed tired but when I put him back in his crib, he began talking to himself again. I gave up at 11:00 a.m. and we left to run errands. He fell asleep in the car for twenty minutes and was awake until I came back home at 3:00 p.m. He slept on the way back home for twenty minutes and now won't go back to sleep in his crib. So, since 7:30 this morning he has slept for about 45 minutes. I feel that I cannot plan anything around his naps because, well, I just never know when he will take them. And if I plan something and he hasn't had a nap, then I have an upset baby. What's a mother to do? Am I expecting too much? Please help!
Signed,
A Desperate Mom
7 comments:
Oh my gosh I don't know what to tell you. Porter and Phearson both have been pretty good about napping but I know many kids don't do the regular nap thing. Hopefully SOMEONE out there has some great advice for you!! I say just put him down at the same time each day and if he sleeps, he sleeps, if he plays, he plays. Maybe eventually he will catch on?!
Not much help I know, Sorry!!
I had similar sleep issues with Emery. Kc is the complete opposite, at least so far! Kc is on a great nap schedule and will sleep ANYWHERE. He doesn't sleep very well at night, but I hope that will happen soon! So... I recently had a book recommended to me for helping babies, kids and teens sleep! It's called Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child. It's supposed to be amazing! The person I heard about it from has a 5 month old that sleeps through the night and has a great nap schedule. I'm going to go buy it tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!
I know how you feel. Cody did that for awhile and I think when I would enforce naps around 1:00-2:00he would fight it but eventually fall asleep. Some days it would take about an hour. It was hard since Cody never adapted to a schedule and he would fall asleep in the car also. I avoid car drives around 2:00 when I know is when he will fall asleep in the car. I do my errands around 9-10am. Some kids are okay with cat naps. As Cody got older it got better and more consistant. We still take naps once in awhile if he's been playing hard. You can try reading books to get help. They never worked for me but Lincoln may be different. It's okay too to let him lay in bed and talk to himself if you need a quick rest. Maybe he's ready for only one nap a day too. Your life kind of revolves around them at his age. Sleeping at other places is hard for kids because it's a different environment and they don't want to miss out on anything it seems. Good luck. One thing I can say is books and Dr.'s seem to say that consistancy is the trick and patience since it could take time.
Sleep is a good thing and I was lucky with consistency with mine. I think Chanda may be right- he could be ready for just one nap. I also would do the nap at the same time and if he just plays, leave him. As long as all is well- no poop, not sick, and fed, then leave him alone. At least then you can have a rest and know that he is safe. If you know his pooping schedule pretty well then you can schedule around that too. I caution you though to not make your life strictly locked to the same thing because then you teach your child to be inflexible. After a while of the same thing, he should pick it up and then you can play around a little with the time. I have known too many moms who will do nothing if it is their child's scheduled thing (nap, bath, eating, etc.) and those kids are not pleasant to be around if life is not what they expect. Good luck!
Hey Again!
I just have a quick comment:
Hailey never took normal naps until she was over a year old...my fault. I would run during her nap time, so she would sleep in the stroller. But, I was going crazy and a lot of people suggested she needs a nap. So, I would read stories to her and then say it was nap time, she hated it, so I ended up holding her tight but not too tight and settling her down that way. It was hard when I was pregnant, we moved and so new scenery, so I had to do the whole routine thing over again. Now three books and she is down for a LEAST 2 1/2 hours. She will be three in 2 months. Ryker sleeps at the same time as her, and so do I, I love to sleep also. Ryker only takes one nap though. I am not a baby sleep expert, but they do take good naps, but only at home. I haven't got the whole out of the home thing down quite yet. Good luck to you.
I am just wondering who your friend is, that has the last name of Ingebretsen. That is a unique last name, and it is my Grandmas maiden name. We could be related, that is so crazy!
I hope you don't mind that I commented!
Jess
I heard ya on the sleep issue. Both of my kids are still trying to sneak their way into our bed at night. Sleep is a huge issue with our kids. Madelynn was so hard to get down for naps. She would do the same thing she would take power naps. I used to have to lay down with her every day whenever it was nap time. I hated that because i would never get anything done. Power naps are the worst!!! Claire has just now been ok with being transfered, but its hard. Maybe if you put him in his crib and just sit in there till he goes to sleep. It takes a while for them to adjust but eventually it worked for Madelynn. UGH i wish i could be of more help!! O thanks for your comment by the way you are too sweet. Dont feel too bad the only reason i look so young is because i am young:) hehehehe!!! And what are you talkin about you look super young too!!
I am up and running Krys! Thanks for all your help. I am excited to share my life with the blogging world! My little buddy Lincoln is the CUTEST dude ever, I truly love him so much, and of course, you and derek. Just wanted to tell you again how fabulous you look... only Thompson is a sexy Mama 53 days away from delivering!
Post a Comment